Extremely cost-effective, the device pays for itself with one breeding. Used correctly, you can confirm with confidence that ovulation is forthcoming within 24 – 48 hours.
The device measures the electrical impedance of your bitch’s vaginal fluid which increases in a unique trend with each bitch prior to ovulation. When used consistently as prescribed, this proven method of over 25 years effectively tracks timing when following the LH surge and progesterone levels are at their optimum to indicate when appropriate to proceed with insemination.
In canines, 48 hours following the LH surge, ovulation occurs, after which eggs require up to 48 hrs. post ovulation for oocyte maturation to occur. Typically allowing for a brief 3-day window of maximum fertility.
Research shows that the peak and decline in readings using the Ovulation Detector occurs two days following the LH surge. The device readings will reach their highest point and start to decline about two days after this at the time of ovulation and it is recommended to inseminate 24 hours (48 at the latest) of this peak and decline in results for the best results.
Owing to this simple method, breeders can detect ovarian cycle disorders and determine the best date of mating, even if external symptoms fail to indicate that.
Summary of best practices using the Draminski Dog Ovulation Detector:
- When taking daily measurements, ensure that you test at the same time of day for each reading.
- Testing once every 24 hours is ideal. When readings start to increase, test every 12 hours for best results. Do not test more frequently than every 4-6 hours.
- The probe on the detector has been designed for use with all breed types and sizes. For safe and comfortable use, it is essential to read the User Manual.
- Find the proper depth to insert the probe up to the cervical mucus (the area where you will find slight resistance inserting the probe).
- Insert the probe at a comfortable angle, being approximately the 11 o’clock direction on a clock face (imagine the male entering the bitch coming up to her from underneath at an angle).
- Take readings in the same position in the vagina for each test. This is essential for reliable results.
- Record and get familiar with the unique readings for each bitch to observe the trend and note the highest peak reading. We suggest doing this for a few ovulation cycles to understand the range of values.
- Clean and disinfect the probe before and after each use. Residue on the probe sensor, including urine or oil from your skin, leads to inaccurate results.
CKC members can log in to the Member-Only Website or contact the Canadian Kennel Club to acquire the member-only discount code. (Please note: CKC members will receive a savings of $49.90 at checkout after applying the discount code.)
Not a CKC member? Join here.
Please note that these devices are not returnable due to safety and hygiene unless of course, your product arrived damaged or defective.